Faculty | Stuart L. Mufson
Ph.D. Astronomy and Astrophysics,
University of Chicago, 1973
Swain West 322
727 East Third Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-6917
Fax: (812) 855-8725
Email: mufson [at] astro.indiana.edu
Professor Mufson has been on the IU Astronomy faculty since 1977. He received a Ph.D from University of Chicago in 1973. He was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory and the Marshall Space Flight Center. He typically teaches A100 (The Solar System), A115 (Birth and Death of the Universe), A221 (General Astronomy I), and A580 (Physical and Observational Cosmology).
- Neutrino Physics with the MINOS experiment at Fermilab
- Responsible for production and delivery of the active detector medium (liquid scintillator) to northern Minnesota and the design/construction of the thermally controlled heat sinks for NOvA
- Manager for the development of the photon detection system for LBNE
- Measurement of atmospheric neutrinos and antineutrinos in the MINOS Far Detector
Adamson, P. et al. 2012, PhysRevD, 86, 052007
- An improved measurement of muon antineutrino disappearance in MINOS
Adamson, P. et al. 2012, Phys.Rev.Lett, 108, 191801.
- Search for Lorentz invariance and CPT violation with muon antineutrinos in the MINOS Near Detector
Adamson, P. et al. 2012, PhysRevD, 85, 031101.
- Search for the disappearance of muon antineutrinos in the NuMI neutrino beam
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, PhysRevD, 84, 071103.
- Improved search for muon-neutrino to electron-neutrino oscillations in MINOS
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, Phys.Rev.Lett, 107, 181802.
- Active to sterile neutrino mixing limits from neutral-current interactions in MINOS
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, Phys.Rev.Lett, 107, 011802.
- First direct observation of muon antineutrino disappearance
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, Phys.Rev.Lett, 107, 021801.
- Measurement of the neutrino mass splitting and flavor mixing by MINOS
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, Phys.Rev.Lett, 106, 181801.
- Measurement of the underground atmospheric muon charge ratio using the MINOS Near Detector
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, PhysRevD, 83, 032011
- Observation in the MINOS far detector of the shadowing of cosmic rays by the sun and moon
Adamson, P. et al. 2011, Astro.Part.Phys., 34, 457.
- The atmospheric charged kaon/pion ratio using seasonal variation methods
Grashorn, E. W., de Jong, J. K., Goodman, M. C., Habig, A., Marshak, M. L., Mufson, S., Osprey, S., & Schreiner, P. 2010, Astro.Part.Phys., 33, 140.
- A Search for Lorentz Invariance and CPT Violation with the MINOS Far Detector
MINOS Collaboration, 2010, Phys.Rev.Lett, 105, 151601.
- New constraints on muon-neutrino to electron-neutrino transitions in MINOS
The MINOS Collaboration, 2010, Phys.Rev.D, 82, 051102.
- Search for sterile neutrino mixing in the MINOS long baseline experiment
The MINOS Collaboration, 2010, Phys.Rev.D, 81, 052004.
- Observation of muon intensity variations by season with the MINOS far detector
Adamson, P. et al. 2010, Phys.Rev.D, 81, 012001.
- Neutrino and Antineutrino Inclusive Charged-current Cross Section Measurements with the MINOS Near Detector
The MINOS Collaboration, 2010, Phys.Rev.D, 81, 072002.